Sunday, May 15, 2011

A first time for everything

Hi, and welcome to Akiddledidivy – a blog documenting experiments of a farmer’s daughter.

I have to go ahead and say this at the very beginning: I think blogs are incredibly self-indulgent – I mean, seriously, WHO CARES??? So I’m somewhat uncomfortable even doing this, but I’ve signed up for the Kennett Downtown Farmers Market this summer and I want to use a blog to promote the market, post photos and descriptions of the various items I’m peddling, and get feedback from my customers.

Aprons, Tea Towel, Knitted Dishcloths

I’m not really a curmudgeon. Most people seem to like me. But my intent is not to write chatty posts, or get very personal, or use this as a soapbox.


I suppose I should, however, provide a bit of personal background: I grew up in Southeast Missouri, the daughter of a cotton grower and a first-grade teacher. I went to SMU and lived in Dallas for many years, then returned to the Bootheel a few years ago when my mom’s vision started to fail to macular degeneration, and now I’m back on the farm.


I knit. Obsessively. And now I’ve started spinning my own yarn. I have several fiber friends and have more recently gotten very interested in producing my own wools, and to that end, am in the very nascent stages of starting a fiber farm of sheep, goats and Angora rabbits. Tangentially, it seemed to me that participating in a farmers market would be good experience.


I’m a pretty good gardener but think, because of the crazy weather we’ve had here this spring and because I hadn’t planned to garden on a market-production level, I might not have much fresh produce beyond herbs, perhaps, to sell. Therefore, rather than trying to come from behind in that regard, I’m going to focus more on making and selling baked goods and similar items at the market.

Mix in the Pan Applesauce Cake Kit, Spicy Black Cherry Tea Mix,
Russian Tea Mix, Tea Towels, and Snackbreads

I love to cook. I’m fascinated by the chemistry of it. I pore over cookbooks and subscribe to several cooking magazines and download recipes and sit glued to the various food channels. WARNING: Soapbox digression: I think Martha Stewart is a goddess and I once went to a costume party as Julia Child. I make big celebratory family meals and send everyone home with leftovers. When I’m not knitting, or spinning, I’m baking. As I way too frequently bake more than Mother and I can eat, I’m constantly giving it away. So I figured, why not try to sell some of it?

I wasn't (and still am not) exactly sure how to approach having a spot at the farmers market - what to offer, what might sell. As it happened, its opening day was the day before Mother's Day, so in addition to snackbreads and herbed loaves (which sold out, so I don't have any photos of them), I made several different things that could serve as gifts for moms.


Mix in the Pan Applesauce Cake,
Lemon Apricot Snackbread, and Tea Towel

Scrub & Soak Sets --
Lemon Sugar-Salt Scrub and Peppermint-Tea Tree Oil Foot Soak


Tea Towels, Tea Mixes, Lemon Apricot Snackbread and
Mix in the Pan Chocolate Chip Walnut Cake
My sister has some kind of fancy sewing machine and does a lot of machine embroidery, applique and quilting. She’s very clever (and very cool) and has tons of creative ideas. So along with the things I’m turning out in the kitchen, I’ll regularly be bringing to market a variety of her unique linens such as embroidered dishtowels, spiffy aprons, and quilted bowl and pitcher covers for the patio.

Anyway, the photos here are representative but not comprehensive of our first week's offerings. As the summer progresses we'll be bringing out new breads and cookies, jams and jellies, spice mixes, things for the kitchen, the garden and the bath, and who knows what?  We'll have a tasting table and recipes or food-pairing suggestions to accompany our goods, and we'll happily consider special requests or orders. I'll keep the blog updated so you'll know what's available from week to week.

Eiffel Tower Tea Towels and Patio Pitcher Cover
 
Aprons, Knitted Dishcloths, Tea Towels and Patio Bowl Cover


1 comment: