Thursday, May 19, 2011

ANOTHER rainy Saturday???

I'm rather anxiously following weather.com.  Word is, it's going to rain on Saturday.  I got rained out the last time I did the farmers market (and I think I might be referring to that from time to time and probably fairly frequently as "FM").  It's troubling when a good deal of my merchandise is baked goods, and therefore perishable.  A fair amount of it -- like the snackbreads -- stays pretty fresh for several days if I keep it in the fridge, but my fridge only holds so much. . . .



Right now I'm working up a batch of mint jelly.  I have a healthy 4-year-old patch of spearmint so it seemed only natural I make jelly from it, since all I've ever done with it previously is put it in iced tea. 


The kitchen smelled great while I was pulling all these leaves from their stems.

Then I chopped up several pounds of Granny Smiths (did you know apples are the base of mint jelly?), tossed 'em in with the mint and brewed up this mush:


and began to strain out the juices.  Slowly.  Very very slowly.  I've got a bit over 3 cups' worth of juice right now and it's been dripping for 2-3 hours.  I'm supposed to reap about 5 cups of juice for the jelly.

 


I don't have a lot of patience.  As they say, stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment